Because decisions about alternative reproductive methods can be difficult, we offer thorough orientation in which we:
- Review choices available to you (including those not offered through GFS).
- Refer you to a doctor for assessment as to which options are appropriate for you.
- Discuss the ways in which GFS can help you.
Our years of experience have taught us that finding the right egg donor or surrogate mother is the key to helping prospective parents leave the sadness of infertility behind and approach parenthood with joy and happiness. To this end, we have compiled extensive files on potential egg donors and surrogate mothers that you are free to review in our office or by Priority Mail. Donor files are 20 pages long and include each women's complete family history plus narrative information about her personality. Surrogate files are 22 pages long and include additional information on each woman's family, her reasons for wanting to be a surrogate mother, and relevant health history including prior pregnancies. Generally prospective parents look for women with whom they share similar values and interests.
The women we work with as surrogates and donors are:
- Selected as possible egg donors or surrogate mothers because of their sense of social responsibility, intelligence, attractiveness, health, and psychological stability.
- Screened by a licensed psychologist.
- Fully appraised of the medical procedures involved through written materials, subsequent phone consultations, and personal interviews.
Confidentiality of all parties is scrupulously maintained. We always protect last names, addresses, phone numbers and dates of birth of all parties. With surrogates, the relationship is an intimate one, so all parties know each other and often spend time together before, during, and even after the birth.
When using alternative fertility methods, you may require additional services. We have comprehensive lists of qualified personnel in:
- Medical services.
- Legal services.
- Therapists specializing in infertility.
At GFS we do everything we can to make your transition from infertility to parenting as smooth and as joyful as possible.
One of our principal roles is liaison between:
- You and the egg donor or surrogate mother.
- You and outside service providers (medical and legal).
In our other role, as facilitator, we can:
- Schedule treatments.
- Arrange for tests.
- Disburse fees.
- Make special travel arrangements.
- Assist in obtaining medical insurance.
We understand how emotionally charged both infertility and alternative methods can be, and so we offer emotional support to you and to egg donors and surrogate mothers when needed.
- Support, reassurance, hand-holding.
- Monitoring the well being of all participants.
- Facilitating peer support. We have new forum.
- Referrals to mental health providers, when necessary.
Because we regard all of our clients -- as well as our egg donors and surrogate mothers - as members of our extended family. We want to stay in touch with you.
We do this through:
- Ongoing emotional support available to everyone.
- Current information we provide on parenting after using alternative reproductive methods.